How to SORN a car

Cars have a knack of worming their way into our affections and becoming as vital to us as limbs. We fall in love with cars, especially ones that hold sentimental value to us, however they aren’t always useful in our every day lives. If you can’t bear to part with your old car but won’t be driving it often, or at all, then you should save yourself needing to tax and insure it.

Why must I SORN a car?

The fact is that in order to keep a handle on all cars in the country, the Government made it law that all cars require taxing and insuring. That’s why they request that you inform the DVLA of your wish to SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) your car and take it off the road. This makes you no longer liable for road tax and needing to secure an insurance policy for it.

The DVLA has systems in place to discover that your car is off the road. Their systems are able to cross reference that your car is neither taxed or insured and will rightly assume it is currently not being used. This will see you issued with a warning letter to SORN the car, be aware though that they are not obliged to do so, before they begin issuing fines and court proceedings if the situation not resolved.

How do I SORN my car?

This is where the good news begins, it’s very easy. The DVLA makes this pretty simple to be done online, by post or on the phone. The easiest way to do this is online and you can head here to get started. You’ll need a few details to complete the exercise, including your car’s reg and its sixteen digit reference from your log book. By phone you can call 0300 123 4321 and be walked through the process or visit the post office for a V890 and send it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR, including the date you want to take the vehicle off the road.

Once complete, you should receive confirmation via post within a month, but it is responsibility to chase this up if not received in due course.

What if I want to drive my car again?

It’s not strenuous to tax a car again regardless if it has been SORN or not. Head to your post office or do it simply online, like you would for your everyday vehicle. However, if you have had your car stored away then it may have some underlying issues that you won’t know about. Be sure to have it checked over by a mechanic and ensure it has an MOT and is roadworthy. Once a car has no MOT, the only place you can legally drive it is to an arranged appointment at an MOT centre, so don’t be driving it on the road to test it out as you will be liable to a fine if caught.